Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I'm Off

To China that is.

Today's the big day. I'm here sitting in Perth Airport, waiting for my flight to be called.

It's really strange. Saying goodbye to Jodie tonight, was so difficult, because we both know that contact will be a bit of a rarity over the next week. I'm missing her dearly already, and I only got off the phone an hour and a half ago. It's strange... almost like leaving a long-term partner. It's quite amazing at times to acknowledge the depth of feeling that we've built towards each other in the last few weeks, and at the same time a little frightening wondering how much further this can go.

A long way I hope, even though I have a certain apprehension of entering into another relationship. I think this one is worth the risk though.

That's a big call I know.

I was thinking earlier about some imagery that I might use in my next poem. The image that came to mind was two bodies in a huge river about to go over a water fall. Whereas normally I'd be frightened and fighting the current, in this case I'm feeling more as though this is a fun trip down river; some kind of wild adventure, and I'm sure that we'll look at each other after the ride, and say something like "That was one heck of a ride - wanna try it again"

For some reason, Jodie seems to have removed the whole fear factor, and replaced it with a sense of adventure and discovery. Strangely I feel as though it never has to end.

This week will provide some time for contemplation I suppose, and a chance to catch up on some sleep in the absence of late night phone calls. China will be a bit of an adventure for me, especially as I've never seen Shanghai. I really want to try to get over to the Cotton Club one night for some seriously seedy Jazz in a dingy smoke filled club, like from the movies.

I'm sure though, that there will be much drinking over business and heaps of strange food.

It's a distraction, for sure, but I'm already wanting to be back in Perth, or better still, somewhere closer to Jodie.

The fateful date of the meeting has been postponed a week, but it's probably going to work better for both of us as it turns out. It should allow Jodie some extra time in Perth, and it will mean that I won't have to cancel a meeting that I thought that I might otherwise have had to. I've had to move a gig, so that I can play while Jodie was down (Thanks Ivor), though she won't get to see me compete at the speech finals. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, particularly as the subject of my speech is Internet dating, of which Jodie plays quite a significant role.

Anyway, it's nearly time to get on the plane, so till next time - Enjoy Life...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?