Tuesday, May 11, 2004

iPods and NIN

I had a read through my blog this morning, and I noticed that I've kind of being going on about Jodie heaps.

Today though, I'll refrain from sharing my feelings about her, and instead talk about something else. It's not that I'm not thinking of her, only that this whole public outpouring seems a tad sentimental, when I try to look at it objectively.

iPods...

What a ingenious conception.

I knew a few people that had one, and was very tempted to get one myself for ages. I mentioned that I wanted one to my sister a while back, and low and behold, she comes back from a recent trip to Singapore bearing, one iPod for your's truly.

She got me the 20GB version of the second generation iPods (and if you feel compelled to get one, then I'd suggest that you go for the second generation ones). It's amazing how you learn to take such things for granted. I mean I bought a discman about a year ago, and it's been rendered completely obsolete by the iPod.

The integration with the software, the ability to purchase music online, and it's use as a portable hard drive make these things so versatile. Add to this the ability to store contacts, appointments and everything else, and you've got one very smart little package.

The only downside is that the accessories are on the expensive side, but I guess that you only need to buy them once.

I've got a huge chunk of music on the iPod at the moment, though it's still only a fraction of my collection. I bought a whole bunch of albums in today to put across to it.

Included are

The Mission - Masque
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine, and The Downward Spiral
Front 242 - Front by Front and Live Code
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me and
A Goa Trance Compilation.

A bit of an eclectic mix I guess.

It's interesting hearing the change in the music of Nine Inch Nails over time. From the raw industrial energy of Pretty Hate Machine, to the despairing Downward Spiral and finally my favourite - The Fragile - a name that perfectly describes the album.

The Fragile is like a finely carved porcelain egg. Apparently brittle, but a thing of such stunning beauty. Raw, yet perfect.

The Fragile sets a new benchmark for quality of production for me, a level to which I aspire. The dynamic range is incredible, and I've had the pleasure of hearing this album played through a set of Electrostatic Speakers. It is one of the few albums that truly does justice to them.

Trent Reznor certainly takes his music very seriously, and this album represents the pinnacle of his achievements to date. Having heard the evolution of his music from the early days of Pretty Hate Machine, has seen giant steps with each album.

Can Reznor get any better. Is there a new level where he can take us in terms of production quality or will even he plateau at some stage.

I guess it remains to be seen.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?