Monday, May 24, 2004

Last Day in Shanghai

Well everyone has left Shanghai leaving me here alone. Well not everyone I guess, because there's still an awful lot of people here, but my aquaintances and work mates are now in Beijing leaving me as somewhat of a lonely soul in Beijing.

Thankfully I don't feel alone. Jodie's presence is always with me, and I know that I am often in her thoughts which is such a comfort. She's really pretty amazing. She's called me at my hotel for the last few nights so that we can fall asleep together. I feel a little guilty that she's spent so much money on international phone calls, but I think my protests would go unheard. She can be pretty determined when she has an idea in her mind, but regardless, I'm still grateful that she wants to speak to me, and am happy that she thinks that I'm worth it.

I hope that I am. Sometimes I wonder why Jodie would be so interested in me, but it would be doing her a disservice to bring into question her feelings. She is interested, and that's that. I just feel fortunate that I'm the object of her desire, and am just happy with knowing that. I don't want to push the point, lest I loose her.

I had a huge sleep in today. I got up briefly for breakfast at 9am and then went back to bed, re-awakening at 3:30pm. I must have really needed the sleep, because I feel sooooo much better now. Much less weary than I have been.

I'll go down for a light lunch soon, though I don't think I'll get out into Shanghai today. I might go for a little walk in the park behind the hotel, or perhaps go for a session down at the gym, but I won't be wandering the streets of Shanghai in search of my gift for Jodie :(

I spent most of yesterday attempting to find a caligrapher to make two posters for me. The first would say something like this.

手那拿住蝴蝶 - 朱迪·理查逊

The Hand That Holds The Butterfly - Jodie Richardson

and the second

失去的蝴蝶 - 被找到 - 杰森没几个翅膀 (thought this last little bit is wrong!)

Lost Butterfly - Found - Jason Fewings

I found a place that could do it, for a huge cost, though the caligrapher wasn't in. Apparently he was a famous caligrapher but he wasn't there anyway, and I'm not sure if I could find the place again today on my own anyway. I'll try to get this done in Australia. I'm sure there must be people that can do caligraphy in Australia.

I wanted to get a poster each for Jodie and myself, but it will have to wait now.

It was frustrating trying to describe exactly what I wanted to my guides. They didn't speak the best english, and trying to describe what I wanted written on the posters was very difficult. They couldn't understand that these were like lines from poetry rather than proper sentences and they were trying to rewrite these as a story.

I spent maybe an entire hour trying to get this sorted out before we embarked on a 3 hour journey to find a place where I could get this written.

Anyway - today is my last day in Shanghai. I've got a bit of typing to do, and then probably a bit more relaxing before finishing all of my packing.

I'm going to head downstairs to get something light to eat and the next time I blog will probably be at the Bangkok Airport Thai Business Lounge.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?