Monday, May 31, 2004

More Traveling

Well, our work team is all back in the office in Perth again, digesting the events of the last 2 weeks. One of the upcoming projects will involve my travel to Turkey. When I first found out about this, the plan was for me to leave the same day that Jodie arrived in Perth.

Fortunatly I was able to negotiate a different time frame, so I'll still be able to see Jodie while she's in Perth, but it seems that I won't be able to see her during her holidays. That's a great pity, but at least I won't miss her entirely.

The trip to Turkey should be interesting. Apparently it is a very beautiful country, and I am quite looking forward to visiting it. I'll be involved in commissioning a small pilot plant, and training local operators as to how properly to use the plant, including all of the plant reporting. There's a whole bunch of work to be done up front by me here in Perth before I go, but it should all go fairly smoothly, excepting the normal hiccups of commissioning.

After I return from Turkey, it looks like I'll be travelling to Mongolia almost immediately, to do a similar job there. Again, it will be great to see a different area of the world, though apparently the trip up to Mongolia is quite frightening, as the roads are in pretty poor conditions. Story's of travelling in packed busses with chickens and goats abound, but I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself.

I'm actually more worried about the bitterly cold weather and the high altitude of operation in Mongolia. I think that I'll probably be a little short of breath, especially considering that I noticed a shortness of breath when I was exerting myself when I was in central China, and Mongolia will be 1200m higher than the Chinese Plateau.

From all reports the locals around the operation where I'll be stationed are all really nice, so that should be great, but I'm still a little concerned about any vodka drinking games, though I much prefer vodka to Maotai from China.

All of this travel seems like a bit of an obstacle to Jodie and I, though we are both pretty determined to find our way through them. I think that what we have will be strong enough to see us through these turmultuous times, and hopefully they will bring us closer together once we finally do make a more permanent connection.

Exactly what form that will take is still a bit of a mystery, though we are both focussing on the long term at the moment. I guess this sounds a little strange considering the short time that we've known each other, but there is such a sense of familiarity and mutual adoration that it really seems like the right thing. We're both looking forward to the times when we don't have to hold a phone to our ears to be in each other's presence, even though we both realize that in the short term our interludes between meeting may be slightly increased.

In the overall, grand scheme of things though, I think that such missed opportunities for spending time with each other will appear fairly trivial, and will provide us with more opportunity to explore each other's personalities via other methods of communication. It certainly makes us both more determined and more ingenious in discovering ways to stay in touch. The drive to be with each other seems to fuel this, and for that I am grateful. It's this desire for each other that forms the core of our relationship, and I can't see that waning any time soon, if at all.

Anyway, it's a very exciting time of my life, in all ways. I'm getting the opportunity to see the world, I've found someone incredibly special, and even my music is going well, with me having finally finished the Onyx Soundset for the K2000 and K2600.

Onyx is an incredibly diverse set of sounds for these synths, that have been carefully honed and tweaked over the last two years to provide, what I think is perhaps one of the most intesively programmed sound sets created for these synths. Of course I can't take all of the credit, because I've had some help from some of the best Kurzweil programmers on the planet, but I like to think that I've added to the sounds with my contributions. It's been a difficult task, but one that has been worthwhile I think.

If you are a Kurzweil owner that is reading this, then I encourage you to check it out at Sonikmatter when it is released. I'm proud of the set, and I think that we've done some pretty special programming that people will be inspired by.

Life is becoming somewhat of an adventure at the moment, and I'm glad that I've got someone to share it all with. My life has been building to go up to the next step, and having someone by my side when I embark on that journey will such a joy. I just hope that she also finds happiness in the journey.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?