Friday, May 14, 2004

Snowbergs and Hockey Balls

Snowberg n. - 1. An icecream with a particularly icy texture. 2. A floating mass of packed snow, not yet ice. Compare Iceberg. 3. Coloquial term for Snowberry - A spiky, poisonous, deciduous plant native to North America.

Snowberg was a word that came up in conversation between Jodie and I a few nights ago. We had a great laugh, because it was used in the wrong context at the time, though we were both quite tired, so we'll put that one down to a wandering mind.

The word itself however intrigued me, so I made up 2 definitions for it. Definition 3 (above) is actually a definition from Hyperdictionary. I don't think that it's actually a word per se, but if everyone starts using it, then perhaps one day it will be.

I actually googled this word and came up with 15 pages of responses. Mostly surnames of people, which indicates that Snowberg is not an unusual name, though it's exact meaning still remains elusive.

So what's it all got to do with hockey balls?

Well, frankyly, absolutely nothing.

A hockey ball is something that I got to smack around last night at our second indoor hockey game. It seemed harder than the first (the game that is, not the ball), and we only managed a draw this time. A draw was a fair result though, and the game was hard fought throughout both halves. A couple of mistakes by our team let the opposition get a couple of quick goals early in the second half, and similarly we followed up with two quick goals of our own.

I actually scored a goal myself last night, and I was pretty stoked about that, because I had some pretty serious competition at the top of the D, and somehow managed to sneak it through and in for a goal.

I'm still getting to know my team mates, and as communication develops, I'm sure that our team will get stronger.

Finally I went to Kieper Records CD launch at the Velvet Lounge last night. Great cut up soundscapes and ambient textures. Great album - I've got it playing on my iPod right now.

Big congrats to Greg and Brendan at Kieper for scoring a national distribution deal for the complilation. It's well deserved, and is a just reward for the hard work that you guys have put in. Much respect.

In other news, I've got a gig on June 16th at the Hyde Park Hotel, playing as LOST, though I'll probably also throw in a few up beat moments to keep the whole thing interesting. I'm thinking that I'll use the K2600 as well as two external FX units to create an FX laden wall of ambient sound for the night.

Start off nice and slow, and then work up with some seriously glitched up beats. We'll see.

I'll probably end up dropping back into the set that I played at the Leederville a couple of months back for part of the show, but will extend that to show more diversity and to try to take the audience on a bit of a journey.

Thanks to Ivor for the opportunity to play.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?