Thursday, June 10, 2004

The Great Purge

[Listening to: Brain Bleeper - Alien Mutation - The Best Of Goa Trance (Disc 2) (7:29)]

Well, the big filing and cleaning up episode is going well.

I've nearly completely re-organized the filing system here at work and will start on the huge mess that is currently my desk. When I get in these moods it normally becomes contagious, so my filing at home will be next to follow.

I don't know how I aquire so much paper work. I guess that's the price I pay for leading such a busy life. It's great when it's all organized, but getting it to that state is often a little tricky, and always a time consuming exercise. Every now and then I need to take a step away from the hustle and bustle of my life and just get it organized, so that I can move on.

Anyway - filing isn't a particularly interesting exercise to be entertaining you all with, so I'll move on.

I had toastmasters last night, and it went really well. My housemate joined last night, which was awesome, so now there's two of us to run amok :) I'm a little disappointed though, that I'm going to miss out on my opportunity to compete at the area level of the humorous and impromptu competitions. A date change means that there will be a clash with my upcoming trip to Turkey.

After toastmasters though, I helped my housemate with his car. It is having problems when power is applied. We thought it was either air intake related, or something electrical. We changed the plugs, and though the old ones were a little oxidized, they weren't too bad. The RAC guy came around this morning and he thinks it's the airflow meter that controls the fuel injection system, which would make sense.

It's going to cost about $500 to get fixed which is a real pain because cash is a bit short (though isn't it always), but it really needs to be done. I have a sneaky suspicion that one of the mechanics stuffed this, up when they were fixing the engine mount. I think that they wrecked both the air inlet manifold, and also the air flow meter. I'm not sure how, but it seems that they were both damaged at the same time.

I think I've had a rant about mechanics before (see This Entry) This whole incident just re-inforces those views.

I had an interesting revelation last evening. I was waiting to catch the train, and had a huge smile on my face, with thoughts of Jodie. A lot of people looked at me either suspiciously or with wonder. It's as though people have forgotten how to be happy. Why is this?

Life is good for people in Perth. We have an amazing climate, we have little crime, and the city infrastructure is good. Generally people are quite nice, and we don't have to worry about getting killed on our way home from work. Why are people so disattisfied with life?

There is so much to be happy for. Perhaps people have become complacent, wallowing in their own ego's, and perhaps the constant barage of fear being spewed out of the box of horrors in the corner of the lounge room of every house in Australia is puting people on edge.

I'm not sure, but it leaves me feeling a little sad that people have so much, but appreciate it so little. I'm going to make it a point to appreciate all the things I have to feel grateful for. I will find something to feel thankful for every day.

Today I feel grateful that I can talk to the person that has my heart when I choose. Without the technology of the telephone and the infrastructure that our government has put in for us, Jodie and I would never have met and discovered each other. I feel fortunate that she is just a phone call away at any time.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?