Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Music and Video Clips

I spent much of last night working on my set for my upcoming gig on Wednesday the 23rd at the Hydie, in Perth.

I've built this mellow set that is all triggered live on the K2600 from the FCB1010. I will have complete control of the flow of the set, and also real time contol of all of the sounds, in a way that simply is not possible with any other synth on the market.

What is truly unique about this set though is my use of Live Mode. What I'm able to do is to pipe an audio stream (in this case, a CD walkman playing a motivational CD) and in real time process it using VAST.

Now this is nothing new for you Kurzweilers out there, but what might be new is the idea of manipulating the sample length in real time.

This is especially fun with stereo feeds because one of the side effects of changing the sample buffer sample length is that the left and right channels don't necessarily do the same thing!

This creates wierd phasing and delays between left and right channels. Throw the arpeggiator on, and put some PWM in the signal path and you've got some pretty wacked out sounds.

Yep, you read it right - Kurzweils can Pulse Width Modulate a real time audio stream. Cool huh?

Anyway, I was having a rehearsal of my set last night, and it was awesome. Bringing Live Mode, the Arpeggiator and the Arrangement mode together at the same time makes the K2600 a formidible (albeit heavy) live performance tool.

For those who want to see me torture it, get on down to the Hyde Park Hotel (cnr William and Bulwer Streets, North Perth) at 9 pm on Wednesday the 23rd of June. It's going to be lots of fun :)

In other news, it's only 82 hours and 10 minutes until I meet Jodie for the first time. Not that I'm counting or anything :)

It's pretty strange because we feel like we've known each other forever, and that this meeting is more like us being reunited after a long absence.

Sometimes it's spooky how "in tune" with each other we are (to borrow a turn of phrase from Jodie).

This morning, for example, I was just about to hit the send button on a message to her when one arrived from her. This sort of stuff is a very regular occurance though, with similar sychronicities happening on at least a weekly basis.

Anyway, all very spooky, but very welcome :)


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?