Saturday, July 31, 2004

Aaaaaaarrrrggghhhh!

[Listening to: No Holly for Miss Quinn - Enya - Shepherd Moons (2:43)]

This is the most friggin frustrating day ever.

I'm trying to send a friggin email. That's all I want to do. Send a friggin email. I've been trying to send this friggin email for the last 8 friggin hours, and each time the SMTP server times out.

We're on satellite here. You know that expensive high bandwidth internet solution that is supposed to guarantee connectivity. Well let me give you a bit of news. All day today the most data I've been able to send in one go is about 200 friggin KB!!!

This wouldn't be so bad if that was the end of it. I'm trying to save my final report here, and apparently my C drive is full. Hmmmmm....

Let's see, when I look in explorer it says I've got 7 GB of free space. Where's the "Listen Mr computer - why don't you open your friggin eye's and see the wide barren landscape of platter space sitting in front of you begging for data to be written to it.

And if that's not enough the other guy in the office has just started playing this inane friggin turkish nasal whiney folk music. Sounds like they've set a cat on fire and recorded it.

The office is full of flies that just keep buggin the hell out of me, and they obviously haven't heard of flyspray here, or keeping the friggin door closed.

What have I done to deserve all of this today. Yesterday I was in such a good mood, but today someone's decided to wreak their vengeance upon me.

1 hour and 13 minutes left to go before I can send my junior met home and I can go have a shower, wire myself up for sound and partake in a bit of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

If my day were to be summed up by Parsig, he would say that I had the mother of all gumption blockages today. The type where you need to leave the country, find an isolated spot and go to work on cracking the earth open with a large inanimate object. Parsig says that sometime you've just got to take a break, or grab a coffee.

Well no coffee here on site, so I've settled for some Turkish Tea, and have done what I can with breaks. I wish this were just boredom, but it's far deeper than that.

Heck - even my report's not going that well. I've got this set of numbers that simply does not make sense. We had this crushing circuit that was poorly set up and generated too many fines, so we opened up the crusher to let larger material through, and the next set of sizings tells me that the ore got finer.

WTF????

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that a 100 mm gap will let bigger rocks through than a 25mm gap and that big rocks will spend less time in the whirring fury of the crusher when the escape hole is 4 times bigger and hence get less pulverised. How the heck am I going to explain THAT in my report?

I vote that we completely cancel today due to lack of interest (to borrow a saying from a good friend of mine). If there were ever a day that deserved it, it's today.

Hopefully dinner will prove to be delicious, though if the rest of the day is any indication we'll be served up luke warm dog food on week old soggy bread crusts with only a straw with which to eat it.

I'm sure it's not all that bad. I just needed a place to vent, and this Blog is like my little window into the blackhole of cyberspace, into which I can shout without upsetting the neighbours. Hmmmmm.... I'm feeling better already. I think maybe my keyboard will stop working shortly due to the pounding that I've just given it as I've physically driven the message home by trying to punch the keys through the surface of the desk.

Aaaaahhhh - a bit of Enya on the iPod to calm a troubled mind......

Anyway, it's about time that Dark Thoughts had a few Dark Thoughts. Here's hoping for more lightheartedness and a return to happier climes tomorrow.

Still waiting for the friggin email.....

Comments:
enya ! hahahahahahahaha !
 
Yeah, well ya get that sometimes when you press "Random" on the iPod.

And before you question it's presence on there in the first place, Enya is useful when you really need to get some sleep on long flights.

'nuff said :P
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?