Friday, September 17, 2004

Live From Mongolia

Well, I made it here.

Not much time to blog, as I'm waiting for a car to come and take us to the laboratory to examine some samples.

Mongolia is a pretty cool place, and in keeping with my new role as world hotel reviewer (well, it sounds like a cool title) here's my reviews of hotels in Mongolia.

Firstly Ulan Bataan...

I stayed in a nice cozy little hotel. Cost me $70 US for the night, including breakfast. Service was good, and breakfast was pretty cool. Eggs on Toast and a cup of tea. Nice way to get the day underway. Top value for money. (I'll post the name of the hotel when I get back to my room and grab the receipt.)

Small minibar where I grabbed some water, and pretty nice two room suite. 4/5 for value for money. 4/5 for comfort and 2/5 for style.

Second hotel is in Erdernet City. It is owned by Erdernet Mining Company (as far as I can tell). $45 US per night plus about $5 US for breakfast. Pork sausages, eggs and bread, as well as yoghurt, coffee (instant) and some yummy spicy tomato sauce. The service was outstanding. It took about 2 minutes to be seated and eating. Can't beat the price. The room itself is a little run down. Looks like something left over from the Russian Federation, but it's solid enough. The shower is the highest shower I've ever been in (not just because of the altitude, but also because of the 1m step required to get into it). Hot water immediately, but the shower head annoyingly won't stay in the centre (one of those removable types on a hose).

The rest of the room is great. A seperate meals area and bedroom with 2 beds. No internet, can't work the phone out (no English Instructions) and no minibar. No soap, shampoo or towels. Very spartan, but liveable.

4/5 for Value for money, 3/5 for comfort and 2/5 for style. If this had a minibar and soap, it would have scored higher, but for $45 per night I can't complain.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?