Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Databases and Wimmin Drivers

[Listening to: Signum - LOST - (4:32)]

Database design can be one of the most frustrating ways to earn a living. While my job doesn't specifically include this as one of my duties, the mere fact that I know about databases has ensured innumerable hours of pulling my hair out trying to make things work. The biggest problem with databases is getting data put into the right boxes, and making sure that those boxes adequately deal with exceptions to the rule.

For example, the current database that I'm developing is for tracking and invoicing time dedicated to projects to the clients. This is all well and good, but we have a range of rates depending on the position of the relevant person, the specific project, and the type of work. I've had to do some pretty serious hacks on one of Access's Time and Billing database to get this to work, but I've just discovered that if someone changes position, things get very murky.

And to top it off, of one the lovely young ladies at work just went and overwrote a whole bunch of records that I'd entered. Grrrrrrr.....

I even wrote out a procedure to specifically avoid that scenario, but apparently the 18 point Bold type on that particular point wasn't big enough. Grrrr.....

Anyway, no major harm done, it's all sorted out now.

In other news, I've finished the first track of my new album. Actually, I've nearly finished it. I've had a few suggestions about changing the ending, which I will fix. If you want to listen to it, click the following link Signum by LOST

Please post a comment if you have a listen to let me know what you think. If ya like it, tell me why, if you don't, it would be great to know why not, so that I can work on improving my techniques.

Well, it's time to go home, so I must leave you until next time.

TTFN

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?